Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pushing the Limits

Training for the River Bank Run was great preparation for the undertaking of a marathon, but I'm beginning to realize that I'll need to push my body and my mind much further this time. There will inevitably be those off-days, and the occasional illness, that slow me down. But I have no choice other than to pick myself back up and get back at it again, even harder than before...

It's tough to keep up this level of motivation and dedication, and I'm struggling with a little more fear than usual this week. I have no reason thus far to doubt myself, yet I can't help but wonder if I'm truly capable of this massive feat. What if it's a repeat of last year's Chicago Marathon, with sweltering heat in the upper 80's, forcing the race to shut down before most runners could finish? Nightmare! All that training and hard work for nothing. What if conditions are perfect but I become injured and am unable to participate? What if I'm just not able to make it across the finish line?

But, no.

I find the inspiration I need in those around me, and, this week, specifically in my training buddies, Natasha and Kim. Natasha has once again talked me into a Saturday race... we'll compete together this weekend in the Reeds Lake Run, after working together Friday night. Ha ha! Not the best race preparation, but a healthy reminder that we also do this for fun and because it feels GOOD! And Kim, who was very recently surprised to learn that she is expecting her 6th child next February, but has decided to go ahead with her marathon training, and take it one day at a time. With 5 little boys at home and an unwaveringly great attitude at work, Kim is the epitome of inspiration. She's also the one who led me to raise funds and run for World Vision, from which I draw great mountains of hope and motivation. We're running for a bigger cause!

Sometimes I like to think of the line from "Finding Nemo", with a twist:

Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running.....

No comments: