Monday, June 30, 2008

Reeds Lake Run 2008

I ran the 10K Reeds Lake Run for the first time this weekend! It was great! My friend, Kim, and I left right after our Friday night shift and made it down to East Grand Rapids just in time to pick up her packet, watch our friend Joleigh finish the 5K race and walk to the starting line.

Once we weaseled our way into the crowd for a place at the start, I saw my friend Monica walking up on the EGR football field... and realized that her husband, Brad, was standing right next to me. It was his first race ever (congrats, Brad!), as he and Monica prepare to run the Chicago Half Marathon in August.

The clouds parted and the sun came out, just as we started the race Saturday morning... it was very muggy, but I was so glad it didn't rain! Somewhere in that first mile, Kim's husband, Dave, caught up and surprised us... Kim knew that he was coming to watch, but instead he ran with her! Nice one, Dave!

The race was unremarkable, except for the fact that I felt pretty good running it, which I had not expected after working 12 hours through the night.

Mom and Dad came down to watch me, and I saw them THREE times over the course of the race... that was GREAT! What a nice energy boost to have them waving and cheering me on... thanks, guys! That was perfect!

The last time I saw them was right before the finish, and our family friend, Shane, was there with her kids, watching her husband run... she managed to snap these pictures of me as I dashed (trudged?) toward the finish line. I was smiling and waving at my mom, who was smiling, waving and cheering back!

It was a good time, and I was pleased with my performance, all things considered. Official chip time: 52:44. I finished 26th in my age group and division... goal for next year: somewhere in the top 25 for age and division.


2 comments:

Em said...

Way to go!! Elizabeth mentioned that she saw you too, and they had a nice time cheering you to the finish line!

Congrats on another race DONE!

Anonymous said...

Nice leg muscles...