Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Day of Fall.

And it feels like the middle of summer!

Sunday update: I didn't get a run in on Saturday, so I was compelled to get out there today. And it was HOT! And very still. The Lake was almost glassy. There was a light east wind, but the air wasn't moving much. Humbly, I'll admit that in weather and humidity like this, I sweat buckets! I'm very hopeful that Race Day will prove to be a bit cooler than it was last year, when they had record temperatures up to 90 degrees and had to cut the race short. I can handle the heat, but it definitely slows you down... makes your legs heavy and your lungs less cooperative.



3 weeks until Race Day. Soon, I'll be counting down the days instead of weeks... unbelievable. This week the taper begins. No complaints here!

Not much else to report on training. As always, I'm thankful for a good run, glad to be feeling strong. We have a busy week ahead, so I'm hoping I can fit some running into our hectic family schedule.

No run on Saturday this weekend. Instead, I was here:
































This is the first year that Jacob's team plays on the "big" field, and can only have 7 (or is it8?) players on the field at a time. They run, and run, and RUN! He and his team did a great job. I made it from work to the last 10 minutes or so of his game. They won, and can be seen celebrating as they line up to thank the other team. It's intriguing to watch the comraderie and interaction between these 10 and 11 year old boys. What a great sport for improving physical fitness, teamwork and coordination! I'm so thankful that we have a great soccer club so close to home.









I stayed up and made it through Micah's pictures and about half of his game:












































This is Micah's first year playing soccer at all, and he is less experienced than most of the boys on his team. But he runs his heart out! His strategy seems to be to run as near to the ball as possible, without actually having to make contact with it. Who can blame him? He took a ball in the stomach in the middle of the first quarter of his game... Coach Eric did his best to comfort, but he needed a few minutes in Mom's lap before he was back in the action. Too cute. I have to admit, I'm guilty of a little frustration over his mistakes during the game. Isn't that terrible? Michael is quick to remind me that Jacob was no more adept when he began 5 years ago. Patience, must work on it.


And so... sometimes parenthood interferes with the running. Thank goodness for that.

Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures of the boys at soccer. I had a little chuckle at the thought of Micah running near the ball, but not touching it. He'll get the hang of it.