Thursday, September 25, 2008

Big Hopes.

Today was great!


Thursday update:
I spent the morning with the three munchkins... lots of running and laughing, some very earnest toddler/preschool conversations, and one big poopy pants (sigh). I had the pleasure of dropping Cayden off to preschool; how much fun did we have with him riding in my car, enjoying the novelty of someone else's car, sitting in Micah's booster... I opened the sunroof and he was thrilled! What a refreshing perspective. I was energized and enthused for my long run when I got home (besides being motivated by the fact that I only had a few hours window in which to get it done).




It was GREAT! Perfect weather... a little cloudy on the outset, although the sun (and heat) were full on by the time I finished. I decided to see what kind of "race pace" I might be able to handle. I was able to keep it at about 8'15'-8'30" per mile for most of the way, and that was VERY encouraging. I'll have to keep in mind that the marathon is MUCH longer, but at least I know where I stand.

I saw my habitual friend, The Rollerblader, again. When I was babysitting, I had a chance to look at the Grand Haven Tribune from yesterday, and there was this article about him! Apparently his conspicuous presence is enjoyed not only to me... I was delighted to read about how he has developed the habit of coming here to roll down the boardwalk on an almost daily basis, and I learned that he drives all the way from Lowell to get here! As we crossed paths, I said, "I saw your article, you're a celebrity now!" Always friendly, he responded, "Yep, next I'm on to Hollywood!" I wonder if I look a little strange, running with a private grin on my face?

Today was also the first time that Paula Radcliffe spoke to me through my iPod at the end of my run... I don't know if I've mentioned it here before, although it would seem obvious from the various images and graphs that I have posted of my goals and runs, but I use the Nike+ sport kit to aid and supplement my runs. It keeps track of pace, mileage, and calories, etc. It allows me to use certain songs and combinations of songs for an extra boost of motivation when I'm dragging. It has been a fantastic tool (and toy?) to complement my running. I've received praise and encouragement from Joan Benoit Samuelson (1984 Olympic marathon gold medalist), Lance Armstrong, and even Tiger Woods. Anyway, it was a bit of a thrill to hear from Paula, the women's world-record holder in the marathon distance with a time of 2:15:25... by way of comparison, may I humbly point out that my official time for the River Bank Run in May was 2:15:32? I ran 15.5 miles... she ran 26.2. I'm just saying... wow.

One last special happening for today: my sweet friend and training buddy, Kim, is pregnant with her sixth child. She has 5 little boys at home and is a wonderful, energetic and creative mom. Today, as I ran, I prayed for her... she was at her routine mid-pregnancy ultrasound and planning to find out the gender of this much-anticipated babe. I think this picture says it all... Congratulations, Kim and Dave!



No comments: